Different countries have different customs and regulations; therefore, finding a job in the United States of America will not be the same as finding a job in India or your home country. However, with a knowledge of all the available options, application procedures and a strong determination, you can Work In USA.
Some of the popular states for working in USA include Hawaii, California, Colorado, New Hampshire, Florida, and New York. In this article, you will get detailed information about working in USA, the requirements, and the process for the same.
Overview to Get a Job in the USA
The United States of America highly values quality education and meaningful work experience. Hence, the first thing will be to get proper educational qualifications and work experience. It will be easier to identify better job opportunities with a degree from a reputed university and some years of work experience. The next step will be to identify your skill set and identify jobs that align with them.
Once you find potential job roles you can apply for, the next step is to tailor your resume to highlight the skills and qualifications needed for the job. The work culture in USA is open, with proper communication and direct feedback. There is a job-oriented mindset, and money plays an important role in businesses.
Requirements to Get a Job in the USA
To Work In USA, the first and foremost requirement is to obtain a permit to live and work in the USA. You must have a valid work visa or a green card so that the opportunities of the American job market become available to you. The kind of job you get and the benefits associated with it also depends on where you are looking to get relocated.
As per the latest Bureau of Labor Statistics studies, the unemployment rate in the USA is the lowest since 2007. Therefore, there are many available job prospects for international job aspirants. Employers in the USA prefer to hire individuals who demonstrate fluent English and the ability to read and write well in the language with a strong command over it.
The best way to Work In the USA is to identify your skills, job opportunities, and titles matching your skill sets. You can do so by browsing through the job portals where jobs in the USA are listed. Another way to identify job opportunities is through an immigration agency that will assist you in finding a job.
It is also important to become familiar with the American job market to understand the hiring of top companies and prospective organisations. Currently, the education, service, and health sectors in the USA are booming along with the TIMES market, which stands for the Telecommunication, Information Technology, Multimedia, Entertainments, and Security Services market.
The Job Market in the USA
The booming sectors in the American market where it will be easier to identify opportunities for job search include:
The US economy has the service sector as the central pillar. Almost 80% of Americans work in the service sector. This sector includes the insurance business, trade, transportation, banking, media, communication, education, and information sectors.
Industries comprise the second largest sector of the American economy. It includes the transport and engineering industries. The USA is at the top of the food industry in addition to the chemical sector, medicine technology, software industry, and oil production.
Research & Development
The USA is also famous for its R&D sector. It is home to over 100 companies in the pharmaceutical research and medical field and development sector. Oil giants such as ExxonMobil in Houston, Texas, are also in the South.
Silicon Valley is known for the high-tech industries that greatly contribute to the American economy. All the world-renowned large tech firms, such as Google, Apple, Facebook, Adobe, etc., are present here. The high-tech hubs can also be found in Seattle with Microsoft and in Washington DC with Amazon.
Requisites to Apply for a Job in the USA
The basic eligibility requirements to Work In the USA are as follows:
- A bachelor’s degree from a reputed university in India or abroad
- Relevant work experience in the field
- A strong command over the English language, both written and spoken
- Valid identity card
- Ability to shift and relocate to the USA
- Passport and work visa
- Personal and professional references
The essential documents needed for a work visa application are:
- If you apply for a work visa, you should have a sponsor.
- If you are applying through an immigration agency, you must have the company documents.
- When applying for an H-1B Visa, a non-immigrant visa, one needs transcripts and relevant degree certificates.
- TOEFL/IELTS scorecard to show English proficiency.
- A job letter from a USA company.
Popular Jobs in the USA
The United States of America has a broad job market with many opportunities to get a job. Most of the jobs for US citizens and foreign nationals are created through the service sector. Some of the most popular jobs in the USA are:
- Office clerks
- General managers
- Fast-food workers
- Registered nurses
- Freight and stock movers
- Customer service representatives
Best Paid Jobs in the USA
On average, a fully employed male in the USA earns $51,212 compared to females, who earn $40,742. Some of the top-paying jobs in the USA and their approximate annual wage pay is:
- Anesthesiologists: $246,320
- Surgeons: $240,440
- Obstetricians and Gynecologists: $214,750
- Psychiatrists: $182,700
- Lawyers: $133,470
- Sales Managers: $126,040
- Chief Executives: $180,700
- Petroleum Engineers: $147,520
- Computer and Information Systems Managers: $136,280
Average Pay Per State in the USA
There are many factors to consider while getting a job in the USA. For instance, you must decide if you prefer the East Coast or the West Coast. Where you live in the USA can also determine your living cost and wages. Some of the most popular jobs and their average wages in California and Florida are as follows:
|Job Title||Avg Salary In California||Avg Salary In Florida|
|High School Teachers||$67,530||$45,370|
Wages greatly vary between jobs as well as from state to state. California is the most famous tech hub in the world.
Procedure to Work In the USA
The proper procedure to work in the USA is described below:
1. Applying for a job in the USA
The first and most important step is to research, using the internet, a list of open positions that interest you and start applying to them. A job application process in the USA includes a resume/curriculum vitae (CV) and a cover letter. Identify the skills in the job description and highlight those in your resume and cover letter to maximise your chances of being called in for an interview.
Your resume should be chronological and not include personal details like religion, age, signature, or photos. It should include the following:
- Personal details of the applicant, such as name, email address, phone number, etc.
- Career goal
- Skill sets
2. Follow up after sending an application
Inquire about the current status of your application. Following up displays your motivation to work and professionalism to the employer.
For the interview phase, research the company, their vision, mission, and job expectations. While giving the interview, highlight your strengths and remain calm.
4. Securing US Visas
Once you get a job offer from a US employee for work in the USA, you can apply for a visa. There are many categories, ranges, and types of visas available for the US, so it is important to choose the right one while applying.
Types of US Work Visa
The types of visa categories available are described below:
- The J-1 exchange program allows professionals and students to experience American culture while gaining work experience for about 18 months.
- The L-1 Visa is an option for individuals willing to transfer within a company to their US operations for about 5 years.
- The H-1B Visa is a temporary work permit that allows foreign nationals to work with a high skill level for a professional occupation. These individuals are highly educated and have a university degree.
- The H-2B Visa is for individuals looking for seasonal or temporary agricultural work.
- The O-1 temporary visa is for people with extraordinary abilities or skills in science, arts, athletics, education, business, motion pictures, etc.
The basic differences between an immigrant and non-immigrant visa are:
- Non-immigrant visa: The non-immigrant visa is for professionals looking for a temporary stay in the USA for internships, summer work, business, holiday, or education purposes. Those with non-immigrant visas can’t work without a US work permit, known as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), which can be obtained after the visa is approved.
- Immigrant visa: The immigrant visa is for professionals who are permanently looking for residency to work and live in the USA. Permanent residence visa holders must also obtain a Green Card, a permanent resident status when they enter the country.
Work Visa USA Qualifications
If you live outside the United States of America and want to Work In the USA, you first need to apply for a visa from the US Department of State (DOS), US Embassy or consulate. There are 3 conditions that a USA work visa applicant needs to fulfil before applying for the visa. The embassy can deny your visa application if you do not fulfil these conditions. These conditions are:
- Have a job offer in the US: Before starting your application, several documents are required from the employer’s side.
- Approval from USCIS: The employer must have filed a Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker with US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), which needs to be approved by USCIS.
- Certification from DOL: Some work visas, such as H-1B, H-1B1, H-2A, and H-2B, require your employer to get an approval certification from the Department of Labor (DOL) before the visa interview.
The conditions that should be met by you and the period you can Work In the USA depend on the type of immigration status that is granted to you by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). To ensure your admission to the country, you must follow all the terms of your employment authorisation.
To Work In the USA, you first need to do proper research and assess your skill set to identify your opportunities. The top booming sectors of the American economy include research & development, medical, and service. You must also have all the required documents, such as your IELTS/TOEFL scorecard, your resume, your cover letter, and the job offer from the employer while applying for the US work visa.
There are many types of work visa options available for immigrants and non-immigrants; you need to identify the one that will best suit you and then apply for the same, after which you will be called in for a visa interview. Once your visa gets approved, you will be able to work in the US as per the terms of the authorisation.
Leave a Reply